Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Neurosciences; Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder; Stress Disorders, Post-Traumatic; Video Games; Neurofeedback; Psychiatry and Psychology
My lab is focused on the development and application of new functional brain imaging paradigms. These include resting state functional connectivity analyses and neurofeedback via real-time fMRI (rt-fMRI). Rt-fMRI neurofeedback has great potential as a clinical treatment for mental and neurological disorders. When used in conjunction with resting state functional connectivity assessments (collected before and after the neurofeedback), it provides a powerful perturb-and-measure approach for studying human brain function.
Extensive Research Description
1. We use neurofeedback of real-time fMRI data to train patients with tic disorders, OCD, and PTSD to control clinically relevant brain activity patterns. An important question is whether this training can improve their symptoms.
2. We evaluate changes in resting state functional connectivity between brain areas before and after neurofeedback. This allows us to investigate how neurofeedback alters brain networks. Also, by correlating changes in brain connectivity with symptom changes, we can gain insight into the neural circuitry that gives rise to symptoms.
3. We are examining the neural and mental correlates of video game playing in adolescents.
Resting state functional connectivity predicts neurofeedback response.
Scheinost, D., Stoica, T., Wasylink, S., Saksa, J., Pittenger, C., Hampson, M. 2014. Resting state functional connectivity predicts neurofeedback response. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 8: 338.
Orbitofrontal cortex neurofeedback produces lasting changes in contamination anxiety and resting-state connectivity.
Scheinost, D., Stoica, T., Saksa, J., Papademetris, X., Constable, R.T., Pittenger, C., Hampson, M. 2013. Orbitofrontal cortex neurofeedback produces lasting changes in contamination anxiety and resting-state connectivity. Translational Psychiatry, 3, e250.
Brain connectivity related to working memory performance.
Hampson, M., Driesen, N.R., Skudlarski, P., Gore, J.C., Constable, R.T. 2006. Brain connectivity related to working memory performance. The Journal of Neuroscience, 26(51): 13338-13343.
Real-time fMRI biofeedback targeting the orbitofrontal cortex for contamination anxiety.
Hampson, M., Stoica, T., Saksa, J., Scheinost, D., Qiu, M., Bhawnani, J., Pittenger, C., Papademetris, X. 2011, Constable, R.T. (2011) Real-time fMRI biofeedback targeting the orbitofrontal cortex for contamination anxiety.
Brain areas co-activating with motor cortex during chronic motor tics and intentional movements.
Hampson, M., Tokoglu, F., King, R.A., Constable, R.T., Leckman, J.F. 2009. Brain areas co-activating with motor cortex during chronic motor tics and intentional movements. Biological Psychiatry, 65(7): 594-9.
Time course of regional brain activation associated with onset of auditory/verbal hallucinations.
Hoffman, R.E., Anderson, A.W., Varanko, M., Gore, J.C., Coric, V., Hampson, M. 2008. Time course of regional brain activation associated with onset of auditory/verbal hallucinations. British Journal of Psychiatry,193: 424-425.
Connectivity-behavior analysis reveals that functional connectivity between left BA39 and Broca's area varies with reading ability.
Hampson, M., Tokoglu, F., Sun, Z. Schafer, R., Skudlarski, P., Gore, J.C., Constable, R.T., (2006) Connectivity-behavior analysis reveals that functional connectivity between left BA39 and Broca's area varies with reading ability.
Real-time fMRI neurofeedback with war veterans with chronic PTSD: A feasibility study, Frontiers in Psychiatry.
Gerin, M.I., Fichtenholtz, H., Roy, A., Walsh, C.J., Krystal, J.H., Southwick, S. Hampson, M. 2016. Real-time fMRI neurofeedback with war veterans with chronic PTSD: A feasibility study, Frontiers in Psychiatry, 7:111.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Wang Q, DiNicola L, Heymann P, Hampson M, Chawarska K: Impaired Value Learning for Faces in Preschoolers With Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2018 Jan; 2017 Nov 6. PMID: 29301667
- Hampson M: Identifying Potential Mechanisms of Action Underlying Neurofeedback Treatment Response in Depression. Biol Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 15. PMID: 28935097
- Scheinost D, Holmes SE, DellaGioia N, Schleifer C, Matuskey D, Abdallah CG, Hampson M, Krystal JH, Anticevic A, Esterlis I: Multimodal Investigation of Network Level Effects Using Intrinsic Functional Connectivity, Anatomical Covariance, and Structure-to-Function Correlations in Unmedicated Major Depressive Disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017 Sep 25; 2017 Sep 25. PMID: 28944772
- Gerin MI, Fichtenholtz H, Roy A, Walsh CJ, Krystal JH, Southwick S, Hampson M: Real-Time fMRI Neurofeedback with War Veterans with Chronic PTSD: A Feasibility Study. Front Psychiatry. 2016; 2016 Jun 21. PMID: 27445868
- Radua J, Stoica T, Scheinost D, Pittenger C, Hampson M: Neural correlates of success and failure signals during neurofeedback learning. Neuroscience. 2016 Apr 5; 2016 Apr 5. PMID: 27063101
- Scheinost D, Finn ES, Tokoglu F, Shen X, Papademetris X, Hampson M, Constable RT: Sex differences in normal age trajectories of functional brain networks. Hum Brain Mapp. 2015 Apr; 2014 Dec 18. PMID: 25523617
- Scheinost D, Stoica T, Wasylink S, Gruner P, Saksa J, Pittenger C, Hampson M: Resting state functional connectivity predicts neurofeedback response. Front Behav Neurosci. 2014; 2014 Sep 24. PMID: 25309375
- Rajab AS, Crane DE, Middleton LE, Robertson AD, Hampson M, MacIntosh BJ: A single session of exercise increases connectivity in sensorimotor-related brain networks: a resting-state fMRI study in young healthy adults. Front Hum Neurosci. 2014; 2014 Aug 14. PMID: 25177284
- Stoeckel LE, Garrison KA, Ghosh S, Wighton P, Hanlon CA, Gilman JM, Greer S, Turk-Browne NB, deBettencourt MT, Scheinost D, Craddock C, Thompson T, Calderon V, Bauer CC, George M, Breiter HC, Whitfield-Gabrieli S, Gabrieli JD, LaConte SM, Hirshberg L, Brewer JA, Hampson M, Van Der Kouwe A, Mackey S, Evins AE: Optimizing real time fMRI neurofeedback for therapeutic discovery and development. Neuroimage Clin. 2014; 2014 Jul 10. PMID: 25161891
- Garrison KA, Scheinost D, Worhunsky PD, Elwafi HM, Thornhill TA 4th, Thompson E, Saron C, Desbordes G, Kober H, Hampson M, Gray JR, Constable RT, Papademetris X, Brewer JA: Real-time fMRI links subjective experience with brain activity during focused attention. Neuroimage. 2013 Nov 1; 2013 May 17. PMID: 23684866
- Scheinost D, Hampson M, Qiu M, Bhawnani J, Constable RT, Papademetris X: A graphics processing unit accelerated motion correction algorithm and modular system for real-time fMRI. Neuroinformatics. 2013 Jul. PMID: 23319241
- Constable RT, Scheinost D, Finn ES, Shen X, Hampson M, Winstanley FS, Spencer DD, Papademetris X: Potential use and challenges of functional connectivity mapping in intractable epilepsy. Front Neurol. 2013; 2013 May 22. PMID: 23734143
- Scheinost D, Stoica T, Saksa J, Papademetris X, Constable RT, Pittenger C, Hampson M: Orbitofrontal cortex neurofeedback produces lasting changes in contamination anxiety and resting-state connectivity. Transl Psychiatry. 2013 Apr 30; 2013 Apr 30. PMID: 23632454
- Hoffman RE, Hampson M: Functional connectivity studies of patients with auditory verbal hallucinations. Front Hum Neurosci. 2011 Dec 2; 2012 Jan 31. PMID: 22375109
- Hampson M, Stoica T, Saksa J, Scheinost D, Qiu M, Bhawnani J, Pittenger C, Papademetris X, Constable T: Real-time fMRI biofeedback targeting the orbitofrontal cortex for contamination anxiety. J Vis Exp. 2012 Jan 20; 2012 Jan 20. PMID: 22297729
- Hampson M, Tokoglu F, Shen X, Scheinost D, Papademetris X, Constable RT: Intrinsic brain connectivity related to age in young and middle aged adults. PLoS One. 2012; 2012 Sep 11. PMID: 22984460
- Hoffman RE, Pittman B, Constable RT, Bhagwagar Z, Hampson M: Time course of regional brain activity accompanying auditory verbal hallucinations in schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry. 2011 Apr. PMID: 21972276
- Hoffman RE, Fernandez T, Pittman B, Hampson M: Elevated functional connectivity along a corticostriatal loop and the mechanism of auditory/verbal hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia. Biol Psychiatry. 2011 Mar 1; 2010 Dec 8. PMID: 21145042
- Mullen KM, Vohr BR, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Lacadie C, Hampson M, Makuch RW, Reiss AL, Constable RT, Ment LR: Preterm birth results in alterations in neural connectivity at age 16 years. Neuroimage. 2011 Feb 14; 2010 Nov 10. PMID: 21073965
- Lubsen J, Vohr B, Myers E, Hampson M, Lacadie C, Schneider KC, Katz KH, Constable RT, Ment LR: Microstructural and functional connectivity in the developing preterm brain. Semin Perinatol. 2011 Feb. PMID: 21255705
- Hampson M, Scheinost D, Qiu M, Bhawnani J, Lacadie CM, Leckman JF, Constable RT, Papademetris X: Biofeedback of real-time functional magnetic resonance imaging data from the supplementary motor area reduces functional connectivity to subcortical regions. Brain Connect. 2011. PMID: 22432958
- Hampson M, Driesen N, Roth JK, Gore JC, Constable RT: Functional connectivity between task-positive and task-negative brain areas and its relation to working memory performance. Magn Reson Imaging. 2010 Oct; 2010 Apr 21. PMID: 20409665
- Hampson M, Hoffman RE: Transcranial magnetic stimulation and connectivity mapping: tools for studying the neural bases of brain disorders. Front Syst Neurosci. 2010; 2010 Aug 12. PMID: 20941369
- Leckman JF, Bloch MH, Smith ME, Larabi D, Hampson M: Neurobiological substrates of Tourette's disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2010 Aug. PMID: 20807062
- Myers EH, Hampson M, Vohr B, Lacadie C, Frost SJ, Pugh KR, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Makuch RW, Constable RT, Ment LR: Functional connectivity to a right hemisphere language center in prematurely born adolescents. Neuroimage. 2010 Jul 15; 2010 Mar 25. PMID: 20347043
- Chepenik LG, Raffo M, Hampson M, Lacadie C, Wang F, Jones MM, Pittman B, Skudlarski P, Blumberg HP: Functional connectivity between ventral prefrontal cortex and amygdala at low frequency in the resting state in bipolar disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2010 Jun 30; 2010 May 20. PMID: 20493671
- Biswal BB, Mennes M, Zuo XN, Gohel S, Kelly C, Smith SM, Beckmann CF, Adelstein JS, Buckner RL, Colcombe S, Dogonowski AM, Ernst M, Fair D, Hampson M, Hoptman MJ, Hyde JS, Kiviniemi VJ, Kötter R, Li SJ, Lin CP, Lowe MJ, Mackay C, Madden DJ, Madsen KH, Margulies DS, Mayberg HS, McMahon K, Monk CS, Mostofsky SH, Nagel BJ, Pekar JJ, Peltier SJ, Petersen SE, Riedl V, Rombouts SA, Rypma B, Schlaggar BL, Schmidt S, Seidler RD, Siegle GJ, Sorg C, Teng GJ, Veijola J, Villringer A, Walter M, Wang L, Weng XC, Whitfield-Gabrieli S, Williamson P, Windischberger C, Zang YF, Zhang HY, Castellanos FX, Milham MP: Toward discovery science of human brain function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Mar 9; 2010 Feb 22. PMID: 20176931
- Gozzo Y, Vohr B, Lacadie C, Hampson M, Katz KH, Maller-Kesselman J, Schneider KC, Peterson BS, Rajeevan N, Makuch RW, Constable RT, Ment LR: Alterations in neural connectivity in preterm children at school age. Neuroimage. 2009 Nov 1; 2009 Jun 25. PMID: 19560547
- Hampson M, Tokoglu F, King RA, Constable RT, Leckman JF: Brain areas coactivating with motor cortex during chronic motor tics and intentional movements. Biol Psychiatry. 2009 Apr 1; 2008 Dec 25. PMID: 19111281
- Skudlarski P, Jagannathan K, Calhoun VD, Hampson M, Skudlarska BA, Pearlson G: Measuring brain connectivity: diffusion tensor imaging validates resting state temporal correlations. Neuroimage. 2008 Nov 15; 2008 Aug 15. PMID: 18771736
- Hoffman RE, Anderson AW, Varanko M, Gore JC, Hampson M: Time course of regional brain activation associated with onset of auditory/verbal hallucinations. Br J Psychiatry. 2008 Nov. PMID: 18978327
- Hoffman RE, Hampson M, Wu K, Anderson AW, Gore JC, Buchanan RJ, Constable RT, Hawkins KA, Sahay N, Krystal JH: Probing the pathophysiology of auditory/verbal hallucinations by combining functional magnetic resonance imaging and transcranial magnetic stimulation. Cereb Cortex. 2007 Nov; 2007 Feb 13. PMID: 17298962
- Hampson M, Driesen NR, Skudlarski P, Gore JC, Constable RT: Brain connectivity related to working memory performance. J Neurosci. 2006 Dec 20. PMID: 17182784
- Hampson M, Tokoglu F, Sun Z, Schafer RJ, Skudlarski P, Gore JC, Constable RT: Connectivity-behavior analysis reveals that functional connectivity between left BA39 and Broca's area varies with reading ability. Neuroimage. 2006 Jun; 2006 Feb 23. PMID: 16497520
- Hampson M, Olson IR, Leung HC, Skudlarski P, Gore JC: Changes in functional connectivity of human MT/V5 with visual motion input. Neuroreport. 2004 Jun 7. PMID: 15167557
- Hampson M, Peterson BS, Skudlarski P, Gatenby JC, Gore JC: Detection of functional connectivity using temporal correlations in MR images. Hum Brain Mapp. 2002 Apr. PMID: 11835612
- Guenther FH, Hampson M, Johnson D: A theoretical investigation of reference frames for the planning of speech movements. Psychol Rev. 1998 Oct. PMID: 9830375